Atlas of Microsurgery of the Lateral Skull Base
In this completely revised and enlarged new edition, Professor Sanna and his team provide systematic demonstrations of the major lateral skull base approaches, drawing from 20 years of experience of the eminent Gruppo Otologico located in Piacenza, Italy.
- Introductory chapters on the general principles, instrumentation, and special considerations that characterize this type of surgery
- Discussion of the radiology of skull base lesions as it relates to surgery, with particular emphasis on findings that can influence the choice of surgical approach, alter the course of surgery, or affect the prognosis
- Actual demonstrations of the anatomy seen during the different surgical approache -- standard anatomy textbooks fail to address this issue
- For each approach, step-by-step descriptions of the surgical technique and numerous clinical cases representing the most commonly encountered lesions so that the reader receives a comprehensive understanding of how to perform the approach and what to expect during surgery
- Pearls and Pitfalls at the end of most chapters gathered from the vast number of cases managed throughout the years by the authors and included to help others avoid mistakes
- Over 1300 superb and instructive illustrations consisting of photographs of live surgery and cadaver dissections, radiologic images, and drawings
This essential text also covers other must-know, highly advanced topics, including:
- Combined approaches providing the necessary route to manage certain extensive skull base tumors that represent particular challenges
- Management strategies for different skull base lesions (e.g., surgical vs. nonsurgical management, the different factors that determine the choice of the surgical approach, cases that are managed conservatively or with radiosurgery)
- Management of the internal carotid artery in skull base surgery, including the new technique of using stents to facilitate tumor dissection from the internal carotid artery
This outstanding surgical atlas is invaluable for any surgeon who seeks not only to master the different surgical approaches but also to grasp the real essence of skull base surgery.
This book is also translated into Japanese